Thursday, October 17, 2013

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics

Being a part of generation y, I feel that I, for the most part, fit in with the demographics of my generation and from my observation, so do many of my friends. In her book, Generation Me, psychologist Dr. Jean Twenge examines the young adults from generation y and goes on to explore why the American youth today are more "are tolerant, confident, open-minded, and ambitious but also cynical, depressed, lonely, and anxious" (http://books.google.com/books/about/Generation_me.html?id=tV4M1hpG-3wC). I, myself, can identify and relate to every single trait that was listed and I think it has to do with the fact that my generation is more socially interactive, especially through social networks that are accessible anywhere and everywhere by our modern day technology which many if not all of us, find inherent and are constantly connected to. Not only that, but everything is so glamorized in today's society through social media which enforces my generation's complex persona so to speak. Though many in my generation try to connect and embrace other cultures, most of them also feel very compelled to determine and establish their own identity and their rights. I know I assert myself and my beliefs. And although I don't expect everyone to agree with me or my beliefs, I expect them to respect them. Many of today's young adults are very assertive with their views, especially their political views and are more open minded about controversial issues such as gay marriage, abortion, and legalization of marijuana. I find that these views a reject many of the attitudes of earlier generations such as the baby boomers and generation x which may make my generation seem rebellious and often gets us overlooked, but I can say that my generation is a very self-driven and ambitious population which is shown through our innovative and constant growth in the technologic industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment